The RavensFire band released their first CD in the summer of 2016. Known for their original harmonies, traditional Irish tunes, and unique covers, the RavensFire band has played dozens of local venues and festivals around the area, including the main stage at the Emmetsburg, Iowa Irish Festival and the Rochester, Minnesota Irish Festival. The band’s calendar includes weddings, house parties, theatrical performances, local restaurants, coffee shops and more. In the spring of 2016 the band was warmly received on a tour of a half-dozen pubs in Ireland.
Audiences love RavensFire‘s versions of traditional songs like Whiskey in the Jar and original pieces like the love song Willow Wood. The traditional instrumental version of The Kesh always gets feet tapping, and the original Roll and Go features beautiful vocal harmonies. Their new CD has all of these songs and many more. A frequent comment from our friends is “You guys look like you’re having fun!” We are, and we want everyone who comes to see RavensFire to join the fun.
Songs on the CD are a mix of traditional Irish tunes and original songs written by Melissa Schmidt.
- Whiskey in the Jar (traditional)
- The Banshee/ Cooley’s (traditional)
- The Sheep Went Over the Mountain/Run Away (©Melissa Schmidt)
- The Riddle Song (traditional)
- Hurrah for the Heroes (©Melissa Schmidt)
- Hush Little Baby/Denis Murphy’s (traditional)
- The Kesh/ Munster Buttermilk (traditional)
- Willow Wood (©Melissa Schmidt)
- The Boatman’s Dance (traditional)
- Roll and Go (©Melissa Schmidt)
Band members include Melissa Schmidt who writes the original music and arranges all the harmonies, Larry Schmidt, a luthier from Spring Valley, and Judy Havelick who has sung harmony for years and recently picked up the bodhrán. Larry and Melissa have played with several bands, and Judy joined the band about two years ago. They enjoy every minute of the music. We think you will, too.